Sunday, November 9, 2008

Choices.

In my world, we all make choices.
Choices that will sculpt your life.

My choice to rebel in High School. It was my choice to do poorly.
Still, It was my choice to go to college.
It was my choice to have my daughter at 21.

It was my choice to work hard, graduate from college.
It was my choice to raise my daughter alone.

It was my first husbands choice, not to go to college, to abuse us and drink.

It was my choice, to work to provide health insurance.
It was my choice, go to soccer practice and school plays.

It was my first husband choice, not too do these things.

It was my choice, with the help of an inheritance, to buy my first house.
It was my choice to be a mom, it was my job and my job alone to support her.
It was my choice not to buy new shoes and use the money for food.

It was my first husbands choice not to do these things, still

It wasn't my choice to go to the bar for my birthday, but I did. There I met my second husband.. Karma. Fate. Serendipity.

It was my choice to pay for braces, eyeglasses and soccer registration. Many years of soccer registration...school trips, school photos and lunches. Everything.
It was my choice to pay for Catholic School, when the public school didn't work for her

It was my choice to wait 6 years to get married. It was my choice to sell my house. It was his choice to sell his house and buy one together.

It was our choice not to take a mortgage we could not afford.
It is our choice not to use credit cards.

It is the choice of my husbands parents to give my daughter all the money she will need for college and beyond.
It was their choice to earn it, save it and now give it away.

It was the choice of my husband, to work for the same company for more than 20 years.
It was our choice to buy it, when we where given the opportunity.
It was our choice to, at a huge expense, offer health insurance for employees and their families.

Now, it was a choice, the the employees made, to vote and elect Barack Obama.
It wont be my husbands choice when his taxes go up
It will not be a choice, when he has to lay off more workers.

See, I guess what I am trying to say is we all have the choice to make a choice. A decision. It is not my fault some families don't make good choices. It isn't my obligation to fix them. Only my own.

I can live with my choices, the good ones and the bad ones.
I am accountable for what I did and have done.

Why is it OK, now not to be accountable for taking a mortgage you couldn't afford.
Why are our children not accountable? Why are our people entitled to free money?
Why are grown adults so excited $1000 extra...
Really, is losing your job and insurance worth a free $1000

Cause and effect. Every choice you make effects everything

No comments: