Monday, November 10, 2008

AM I a Conservative?

Well. first I am a registered Democrat.
I registered when I was 18, a I was a Democrat.
Really. I was a free thinker, believed in Clinton.

Fast forward

For my 21st birthday, I went to a bar.
For my 22nd birthday, I went to Social Services.

I went because, I was 22. I was poor. I had just left my husband, and TheKeeper was maybe 4 weeks old.
I asked for help. I really thought I could get a little help.
I didn't need Medicaid, because I had insurance. (second mistake)
I just needed help with food. and really just enough to get me back on track.
Well folks. There is no such help, or wasn't at the time. Or not for me. Because I was told, Quit your job (first mistake), sell your car and come back we can help you then...umm ok then. I think not.
Next, I went to the food store, it was Pathmark, and I had $20 to get me food and formula..but the girl ahead of me? She had foodstamps and steak. She was dripping in gold jewelry. Know by this time I had sold all my gold for rent, but I digress. She drove away in a BMW.
It was then I knew. At that moment. Help wasn't there for me.

So I worked harder. Spent less. Made a budget.
Believe me, I was poor. Dirt poor.
But I made it,

So, yes I was bitter. But stronger for it. I volunteered in food kitchens and homeless shelters.
I thought I could change things
I saw crack heads get help. I ladies have more babies, I saw people with boyfriends get help, because they had no one.
Still I thought I could change it.
Yes, from time to time you saw people who really needed help get help.
But alot of the time you saw ladies, with their hair and nails done.
Me, I still had $20 to feed my kid.

Fast Forward.
TheKeeper is 3
I met my Husband. He loves me and my daughter. He plays Santa, buys a tree and puts gifts under it.
Still I work hard, and wait until TheKeeper is 10 to marry him. Because I love him, not because he is a free ride.

But I did become a Conservative. A Republican. Because things need to change. Because we are to nice to the really poor.
The change needs to come in the social programs, with drug testing and stricter policies. Make it harder to get. Make it harder to stay on.
Not promise them things like free money and free health insurance. Not paying a mortgage they should have never taken, or credit cards they maxed out.
That is not what this country is about.
It about hard work and paying your own way. Feeding your own kids. Paying taxes.

I am scared for our future. I am scared for the kids in my daughters generation.

Now, believe me. I could care less about who you live with, but call it a union. Really marriage happens in a church, take it up with religion not the government. Stem cell research will help my loved ones.

Maybe I'll fininsh one day, but for now you get the point.

No comments: